Hiking has become a popular pastime in the USA and around the world. Some of the reasons why people choose hiking as a sport are that there are countless trails to walk and people will have the opportunity to witness breathtaking sites, a variety of animals and plants, and enjoy nature at its best.
One of the most popular and challenging trails is known as the Appalachian Trail or AT. Here we show you some of its features and the necessary items to take.
It is important to know that it is a marked hiking trail located in the eastern United States between Mount Katahdin in Maine and Springer Mountain in Georgia. With an extension of 2,185 miles, it is famous because many backpackers and hikers try to hike it in about three months or a single season.
HOW MANY STATES DOES THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL PASS THROUGH?
The answer is 14 states. On a trip up the AT, you will hike through Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. The state with the longest part is Virginia. In fact, more than three-fourths of the trails lie in this state.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO PACK?
- An orange vest or hat. This is a requirement, especially during the hunting season.
- Sunblock. Even though most of the trail has shade, it is important to use sunscreen because there are some parts exposed to the suns rays in Georgia and North Carolina.
- The A.T. Guidebook. It includes information on elevation, water sources, maps, and amenities.
- A flashlight or headlamp for dark places and nighttime.
- Raincoat, rain pants, and quick-dry clothing and shoes because it rains a lot.
- Something to carry out the trash.
- Lightweight blanket.
- Warm clothing. (never cotton)
- Filter or chemical purifier for water.
- Some ointment to prevent chafing.
LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT TENT FOR YOUR ADVENTURE?
DENVER TENT HAS BEEN MANUFACTURING THE HIGHEST QUALITY TENT AND OUTDOOR PRODUCTS SINCE 1890.
Our vision is to be the premier tent and outdoor product resource in the industry by offering exceptional quality, trusted advisory and unparalleled customer service at competitive pricing for our customers that will create safe shelter, wonderful outdoor events, and a lifetime of great memories.